Why use Greendale?
How to cook mussels
Supplied by the award-winning (and very local) Exmouth Mussels, these delicious live mussels are the real deal; having spent their lives eating plankton in the sparkling waters of the Exe, their plump meat is full of flavour – we think they’re the best we’ve tasted. Follow Mitch Tonks' easy recipe and they could become a regular fixture on your table.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 mins
Serves: Serves 4 as a starter
- Clean and debeard the mussels. If any mussels are opened, tap them lightly on a hard surface. If they don't close, discard them.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, heavy-based pan. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, but not browned.
- Add the wine to the pan and boil for a minute to burn off the alcohol.
- Add the mussels to the pan. Add most of the chopped parsley, cover the pan with a lid and cook the mussels for about 3-4 minutes, giving the pan a shake from time to time. The mussels are cooked when they've opened up. Be sure to discard any that don't open.
- Sprinkle in the remaining parsley, then spoon the mussels into a serving bowl. Pour over the cooking liquid and serve with some crusty bread.
Get in touch
Come and see us
Mon-Sat 8am-10pm | Sun 8am-9pm
- 01395 232836